2. The Canada Research Chairs program is providing key personnel
The Canada Research Chairs (CRC) program has contributed significantly to CMEP.
- Keith Thompson was appointed to a Tier I Chair in Environmental
Statistics. Thompson can now contribute more to research and the
development of CMEP; he has volunteered to pursue the formal formation
of a Centre at Dalhousie.
- Michael Dowd has accepted a tenure track Assistant Professor
position in Environmental Statistics, funded in part by salary savings
associated with Thompson.s CRC (progress is being made toward the
establishment of a second position in environmental statistics). He
will probably start in July and become actively involved in CMEP
research, including the Lunenburg project.
- A Tier II CRC Chair in Marine Sensors / Process Studies has been advertised.
- Consistent with Dalhousie University's Canada Research Chairs
Strategic Research Plan, CMEP has developed as a prominent research
thrust within the university. We hope that a third Tier I Research
Chair, originally listed for consideration in the plan, will be
allocated to CMEP.